Zimtsterne ~ Cinnamon Cookies
Homemade cookies are a very traditional part of German Christmas. We start baking them just before the 1. Advent Sunday (4 Sundays before Christmas)
“Zimtsterne” cookies are one of my favourites. They are delicious and—glutenfree.
We have them for Sunday’s afternoon tea or bring them as gifts when we visit friends.
Try them out ~ They are very easy to make! Happy baking… and let me know how you liked them.
4 egg whites
390 grams icing sugar,
200 grams ground almonds
200 grams ground hazelnuts
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
30 ml cherry brandy or rum (optional)
- Beat the egg whites and add icing sugar, 1/2 cup at a time and beat it until the mixture is very stiff.
- Set aside 1/2 cup for the icing.
- Fold in cinnamon and the almond and hazelnut meal
- Add the alcohol if you are using it
- Chill the dough for at least 1 hour.
- Sprinkle icing sugar on a clean surface, roll out the dough to 1-centimetre thickness.
- Cut out stars with a cookie cutter.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Brush icing on each star
- Preheat oven to 150C or 300F
- Bake cookie for approx. 15 minutes.
- remove the cookies and let the cool out.
- Store cookies in a dry place.
If you rather want something for the mind than for the stomach, you can get my new Book WHISPERS OF LOVE coming out just in time for Christmas. Get it at